Thursday, August 30, 2007

God answers prayer?

when God answers prayer i am amazed and excited. yet at the same time i am ashamed. i am ashamed at my amazement. yes, God should amaze and excite us. maybe it is more that i am somewhat startled when He answers prayer. yes, it is because i do not have faith that He will answer. then i see that He does and am startled that He did answer and ashamed i did not believe.

today i received a text message from a prayer warrior in my church, "well, did the credit card show up?"

rewind to yesterday when my dad explained a situation to me: my sister, angela (who works at an orphanage in haiti, and thus doesn't live in the same country as her bank in the US), has a check card which expires soon, so the bank sent my parents the new one. my parents sent it to shannon (a lady who lives in so cal and works with the orphange) so that shannon could somehow get it to haiti to my sister. as my dad was explaining this to me yesterday he said, "we sent the card a week ago, and shannon hasn't received it yet." i got this knot in my stomach--i feared someone had gotten hold of her card and she would 1- not be able to use it to buy food etc, and 2- have the possibility of dealing with bad credit, identity theft, all that stuff that could possibly come from someone stealing your check card or credit card. my dad continued, "i'm just going to pray that it gets there tomorrow."

so later on that night i followed my dad's example...i prayed hard to God that my sister's card would be in shannon's mailbox tomorrow.

but i feared my prayers weren't strong enough, so i shot off a text message to someone who i know is a prayer warrior in our church, "you're a prayer warrior. please pray that my sister's credit card will be in shannon's mailbox tomorrow. thanks! :)" this person had no idea who shannon was or anything about the credit card situation. but today at 2:30 in the afternoon i got the text message: "well, did the credit card show up?"

ah! i had forgotten to check! i went over to my mac, pulled up my parent's webmail (my parents left for Ukraine this morning on a mission trip), and saw an email from shannon in the inbox "Re: Visa"! i opened it and read this:
Okay - who has been praying????

Your credit card arrived today!...
WOW. God answers prayer. God answers prayer? i knew it. i can read it in Scripture. i've heard stories of answered prayers. God has even answered my prayers before. but, somehow, i still don't get it. God...answers...prayers.

what i found cool was that, when we prayed He would cause the credit card to arrive today...that's the very day it DID arrive. not a few days later ("oh, whew, it showed up. thank You, God."), not that we were mistaken and it had already showed up ("oh, thank You, God! it was here all the time!")...both of which would have been, in a sense, an answer to prayer because our desire was simply that it would not be lost and in someone else's hands, and that we would be able to get it to my sister. no...God answered our SPECIFIC prayer. on the DAY we asked it to be there.

God indeed does answer prayer.

Praise Him!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger angela said...

elias, i love you! our God is so . . . GREAT! He's great for making you my brother. and for making my credit card show up!! thanks for your constant love and devotion!

01 September, 2007 09:03  
Blogger Bethany's Adventure said...

God is so amazing. Even when we least expect it he is there proving the love that we sometimes fail to see. I am so glad that the credit card did not fall into the wrong hands. Our God is so so amazing.

01 September, 2007 22:25  
Blogger Shannon H. said...

Our God is a God of details.

05 September, 2007 20:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home