Saturday, June 18, 2005

lucid latin lessons

I like knowing things. I like doing things right. So here's some info both for my record (so I can remember), and so you can know too, if it interests you.

viz. - is short for the Latin word 'videlicet' which means "that is; namely"
i.e. - is short for the Latin word 'id est' which means "that is to say; in other words"
e.g. - is short for the Latin word 'exempli gratia' which means "for example"

I'm not sure of the exact correct usage of these but I notice that a lot of people will use 'i.e.' when they should use 'e.g.' (e.g. here's a great example, I shouldn't have used 'i.e.' because I'm giving an example I'm not saying "in other words" [i.e. If you first understand the english meaning of the latin abbreviation then you can know when to use each one {viz. when to use viz., i.e., e.g., etc.}]).

whew, that was kinda fun to write.

Note: I've just been reading C.S. Lewis, so my brain is in high gear :). (And I'm not sorry. Being in high gear is good ;) ).

by the way, 'etc.' is short for the Latin phrase 'et cetera' (commonly mispronounced "exsetera" and written 'ect.') which means "and the rest".

there you have it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home