Wednesday, March 16, 2005

best friends

tonight i spoke at AWANA it was so cool when two girls exemplified something i had just taught...

i had been talking about how we can only get to know God by spending time with Him. we cannot expect to get to know who He is and what He would want us to do and how He would have us act and what He would think about something if we do not spend time with Him. i drew a parallel to our relationships with other people. i said that i have "Ralphliness"...what that means is that i am a lot like my dad, Ralph, because i have lived with him almost all my life and i have spent much time with him. I know what he thinks about certain things, I know how he would act in certain situations. I often find myself saying exactly the same thing he would say in exactly the same tone in which he would say it. Why? Because I have spent much time with him. The same is true with godliness.

after explaining that i asked some questions. after one of the questions two girls (who were sitting next to one another) shot up their hands. i could only call on one of them so i called on the one sitting on the right. she answered the question well. i gave the second girl a chance and she said, "Oh, she said what I was going to say."

"Aha!" I thought, and then I asked, "Do you two know each other very well?"

"Yes, we are best friends. We hang out all the time." They both replied.

There it was! Just what I had been saying. These two girls, who are best friends and spend a lot of time together, thought the same thing and even replied to my second question almost in unison.

When we are best friends with God then we will know what He's thinking in certain situations and respond as He would to events that happen. The way we do this is by spending lots of time with Him.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home