Friday, October 31, 2008

a thought on reformation day

I am privileged to be assigned Spurgeon's "Lectures to My Students" to read. I love to read, but I don't know if I would have read this otherwise. But I'm loving it! It's written powerfully and it's actually pretty easy to read. And he was humorous too, so that helps!

But, seeing as how it's Reformation Day, I'll share what Spurgeon said about Luther (and some related thoughts):
Luther was the man for decision. nobody doubted that he believed what he spoke. he spoke with thunder, for there was lightning in his faith. The man preached all over, for his entire nature believed. You felt, 'Well, he may be mad, or he may be altogether mistaken, but he assuredly believes what he says. he is the incarnation of faith; his heart is running over at his lips.'
We have a fixed faith to preach, my brethren, and we are sent forth with a definite message from God. We are not let to fabricate the message as we go along. We are not sent forth by our Master with a general commission arranged on this fashion: "As you shall think in your heart and invent in your head, so preach. keep abreast of the times. Whatever the people want to hear, tell them that, and they shall be saved." Verily, we read not so. There is something definite in the Bible. it is not quite a lump of wax to be shaped at our will....There is something told me in the Bible...revealed to me as infallible fact, which must be believed, the opposite of which is deadly error, and comes from the father of lies."

Scripture is true. We must preach it as Truth. We must teach it as Luther did. Let no one doubt our belief in it.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger angela said...

i want to be the "incarnation of faith."

02 November, 2008 22:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home