Monday, September 15, 2008

questions

I ordered a number of my books for this quarter from Amazon. As I get them I am beginning to familiarize myself with them so I can be better prepared for when classes start. One book I just got earlier today is "Our Sufficiency in Christ" by John MacArthur. In the Preface of his book he quotes a letter from C. S. Lewis' "Screwtape Letters." Here's a quote I found quite relevant to today's culture:
[Note: "the Enemy" in this quote is God since the one writing this letter is a demon, Screwtape.]
The Enemy loves platitudes. Of a proposed course of action He wants men, so far as I can see, to ask very simple questions; is it righteous? is it prudent? is it possible? Now if we can keep men asking "Is it in accordance with the general movement of our time? Is it progressive or reactionary? Is this the way that History is going?" they will neglect the relevant questions...As a result, while their minds are buzzing in this vacuum, we have the better chance to slip in and bend them to the action we have decided on."
How much this reflects the current attitude of what calls itself "the church"! How sad, yet how true.

may this not be true of us!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger angela said...

ha! neglecting the relevant questions is what this society does best of all! wow, this is so true. we skirt issues. we make light. there are even, as i have been reading, "respectable sins."

and all this makes me want to say, "come quickly, Lord Jesus!"

15 September, 2008 23:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home