Monday, November 20, 2006

functional atheist

I enjoy the blogging world. There's a lot of insight, encouragement and knowledge to be gained.

I was just looking through my ever-growing bookmarks of blogs and I saw a title on Joshua Harris' blog that caught my attention: Do Not Be Wise In Your Own Eyes. It caught my attention because in Phase 2 (the High School ministry at OEFC) I have been preaching through Romans. We are now in Romans 12 and I just preached on Romans 12:3 which says, "For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith." I also went to verse 16: "Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation." (NASB) . We talked about pride and not being wise in our own eyes, so I wanted to see what Josh had to say on this subject.

As I was reading through his post a term he used caught my attention. He said, "When my view of Him is clouded, when I’m a functional atheist, I will trust and applaud my own wisdom."

I don't think I've ever heard that term before but it makes complete sense. Am I a functional atheist? Are you a functional atheist?

A "functional" atheist wouldn't be a true atheist. A true atheist would deny the existence of any supernatural power whenever you asked him. But a "functional" atheist would acknowledge the existence of God and possibly even realize the need to submit to His will, but, by his lifestyle he would functionally be an atheist: you wouldn't be able to tell by his actions and attitudes that he believed in God and admitted the need to follow Him.

Are you a functional atheist? Do you believe in God and even confess that you should follow Him, but do not live this out in your daily life? Does your verbal assent have a noticeable effect on your moment by moment decisions, actions and attitudes?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger angela said...

uh!

20 November, 2006 04:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen to the uh! Unfortunately I think that many (most?) "Christians" are "functional atheists" much of the time.

21 November, 2006 17:12  
Blogger Todd said...

W....OW...... I do believe my world just got rocked even more than it has been over the last couple of weeks. Thanks E!

24 December, 2006 11:43  
Blogger Kristina said...

Huh????
I've never thought about it that way. Thank you for giving me even more to think about it.

07 January, 2007 19:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home