Thursday, November 30, 2006

101

I wish I had (maybe I should say "made") more time to read. I love to read and gain insights and shape my worldview, beliefs, understanding and gain knowledge that will hopefully form into wisdom.

At the church I am part of we have men's Bible study on Friday mornings. We are currently going through the Workbook to "Twelve Ordinary Men" by John MacArthur. It's a great workbook. It's kinda funny though 'cause I could get along fine if I didn't bring my workbook because Pastor Bob leads it (even though the men in the study take turns "leading" each page in the workbook...Pastor Bob is just so excited about and knowledgeable of the Scriptures that he ends up leading) and we make it through about three discussion questions each time. I find that we're not really talking about the book, we just use the questions in the workbook as springboards into discussion lead by Pastor Bob.

So even though PB gets upset at us when we don't have anything written down for the answers to the questions, I've decided to take the time to actually read the book "Twelve Ordinary Men" (what a concept!) instead of answer the questions in the workbook. I find it profitable since we discuss the workbook anyway, and I, otherwise, wouldn't make the time to read the book.

It's a great book! I'm only in chapter one 'cause I only got this bright idea three weeks ago and I only read it on Thursday nights (and chapter one is 21 pages long...the intro was 8 pages itself)...anyway, enough excuses for my slow reading...let's get to what I really started to write this entry about--

In the first chapter of this book MacArthur is arguing for the "ordinariness" of the 12 apostles. It's so true, yet historically the church has raised these men up on pedestals and memorialized them in marble sculptures. While reading his arguments I realized that by treating the apostles as uncommon, amazing men who are far superior to us, we excuse ourselves from having to live up to what they did.

MacArthur quotes 1 Corinthians 1:20-21 which says, "Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe." And he points out that the apostles were not from among the religious elite of the time. There were no scribes, no pharisees, no sadducees, no rabbis, no one of the sort. These were ordinary men so that when they did extraordinary things they would not get the credit. Christ, the power behind them, would get the credit.

This is in contradiction to the way the world works (if anyone from Phase 2 is reading this..."Do Not Conform!" or if you remember H206 "Stand Defiant!"). The people of the world desire the fame and glory for themselves. After explaining this MacArthur goes on to say:
"With the notable exception of Judas Iscariot, these men were not like that. They certainly struggled with pride and arrogance like every fallen human being. But the driving passion of their lives became the glory of Christ. And it was that passion, subjected to the influence of the Holy Spirit--not any innate skill or human talent--that explains why they left such an indelible impact on the world." [emphasis mine]
Do I desire to make an indelible impact on the world? Do you desire to make an indelible impact on the world? What, then, should be our passion? Our passion should be the glory of Christ.

Oh God, give me this passion: to glorify Christ, all that He has done, all that He is. May He be the one I desire to magnify, not myself. Help me not to conform to the pattern of this world. Help me to stand defiant against the trends of modern culture which encourages me to focus on myself. Help me instead to focus on Christ in all I do.

...its a high calling...but the ordinary apostles did it. So...so can I.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And so it has been throughout history. Take, for instance, D.L. Moody - a 17 year old shoe salesman who wanted to see what God would make out of a life totally devoted to Him.

Get close to the flame and you catch on fire.

Go Son!

There's no higher calling or vision!

01 December, 2006 09:56  
Blogger angela said...

e, your posts are always challenging. thank you for being faithful and for keeping us on our toes!

01 December, 2006 20:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home