Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Who But Christ?

I love thumbing through the book "The Loveliness of Christ" which is a collection of extracts from letters written by Samuel Rutherford. There are so many powerful quotes in this book. Here is one which has become one of my favorites:
I beseech you in the Lord Jesus, beware, beware of unsound work, in the matter of your salvation: ye may not, ye cannot, ye do not want Christ. Then after this day, convene all your lovers before your soul; and give them their leave, and strike hands with Christ, that thereafter there may be no happiness to you but Christ; no hunting for anything but Christ; no bed at night (when death cometh) but Christ; Christ, Christ, who but Christ? I know this much of Christ, He is not so ill to be found, not lordly of His love; woe had been my part of it for evermore, if Christ had made a dainty of Himself to me; but God be thanked, I gave nothing for Christ; and now I protest, before men and angels, Christ cannot be exchanged; Christ cannot be sold, Christ cannot be weighed.

...and now I protest, before men and angels, Christ cannot be exchanged; Christ cannot be sold, Christ cannot be weighed.


Can I say the same? Truly, I gave nothing for Christ. I had (and still have) nothing to give! It is only because salvation is a free gift that I now have it. But, now that I do have it, can I honestly say, and protest before men and angels, that I will not exchange Christ for anything? That I will not sell Christ for any price? That no thing, no matter how great, how alluring, or attractive, can outweigh Christ and His beauty? I know that these things are true, but does my life and the way I live moment by moment prove that my heart believes these truths?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger angela said...

aarrr, this be pleasin' to me eye!

i cannot wait for Heaven.

29 August, 2009 11:11  
Blogger megan haug said...

that's a good book to thumb through.

awesome quote. a lot to ponder there...

11 October, 2009 12:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home